NOS Mission

Nevada Outdoor School inspires exploration of the natural world, responsible stewardship of our habitat and dedication to community.
This is the spot for us to share stories, fun ideas or general musings. When you aren't in here, we hope to see you out there!







Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Project AWARE




This past month (January) has been crazy busy with planning and successfully executing an amazing event. Nevada Outdoor School’s AmeriCorps program put together their annual MLK day dodgeball tournament. It went off without a hitch, thanks to everyone that participated. This year was the first year that we (AmeriCorps members) had a silent auction. I personally think that this was a great addition because it not only added revenue to our total profit, it added a different dynamic to the event, it let the spectators get involved. A big thank you to all of the local businesses that donated silent auction items and the members that made this happen.


The AmeriCorps members chose a program that truly benefits all the children in our area. Project AWARE has helped many children and families in our community. This past week was the presentation of the check to The Family Support Center. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we were all thrilled that this was the biggest profit we have raised thus far!


I’m lucky enough to be serving at The Family Support Center, so I can see the direct affects that this donation has and will have on the children that we serve. It’s such an incredible gift to be able to give these children the help and direction that they so desperately deserve but can’t obtain because of money or other circumstances out of their control. 

This is my first year as a member and I can honestly say that I have learned so much that will help me further my education, but not only that, I have been able to participate in programs that I would have never been introduced too otherwise. Being an AmeriCorps member can open doors that you never knew existed. In my case I was just looking for something that would give me experience within my field of study but little did I know it would deepen my passion for helping people. I’m grateful for the experience AmeriCorps and The Family Support Center has given me and I cannot wait to see what the rest of my term has to offer.



Again, I want to thank everyone that participated and donated.

-Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment