NOS Mission

Nevada Outdoor School inspires exploration of the natural world, responsible stewardship of our habitat and dedication to community.
This is the spot for us to share stories, fun ideas or general musings. When you aren't in here, we hope to see you out there!







Thursday, October 14, 2021

Meet Our New AmeriCorps Members!

The Nevada Outdoor School AmeriCorps Program is a community development program that provides human resources to worthy non-profits, professional and life-skills training for community members and collaborations for best practices which in turn increases the overall outreach of the non-profits and enables citizens to live more meaningful and independent lives.

AmeriCorps members who serve with Nevada Outdoor School inspire exploration of the natural world, responsible stewardship of our habitat and dedication to community.  

They teach lessons and field experiences, after school youth programs and summer camps.  They run outdoor ethics skills trainings for the community, lead community hikes and nature programs and provide outreach and education about safe and responsible recreation at NOS Road Show events around the state (just to name a few things!)

WE STILL HAVE POSITIONS OPEN - COME INSPIRE WITH US! 

This year, we are super excited to have Macy Rohr in Elko and Michelle Rookstool in Winnemucca part of our team as second year AmeriCorps members.  We are also stoked to welcome three new members, Gretchen and Kaci in Elko and Johnny in Winnemucca to our NOS team!

 

MEET OUR NEW AMERICORPS MEMBERS!


Gretchen Westhoff (NOS AmeriCorps Naturalist serving in Elko)
I am looking forward to a fun and challenging year serving at NOS.  After finishing a natural resource degree through Great Basin College I was looking for ways I could gain experience and still be able to juggle raising two kids.  I was first introduced to NOS many years ago through Nature at Noon and then through various events and camps NOS hosted.  Every activity I signed my kids up for was never a waste of time as they always came home excited about what they did that day.  Fast forward a few years, and I saw that there was a way I could join NOS through Americorps, and needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity. Now I can be the one to help inspire curiosity in our youth and communities about the natural world!

 

Johnny Cooper (NOS AmeriCorps Naturalist serving in Winnemucca)
I moved to Winnemucca at 13 years of age and made many friends and many memories living in the high desert. I was drawn to Nevada Outdoor School as a way to expand my horizons and to get in touch with the world as it grows. Recently, I have come to enjoy passing the knowledge I’ve learned on to others. I’m currently attending Southwest Institute of Healing Arts to become an Integrative healing arts practitioner. To quote Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain; "There are two days that really matter to a person, the day they are born, and the day they find out why." I look forward to working with Nevada Outdoor School as believe NOS will help me in this fulfillment.

 

Kaci Mahtapene (NOS AmeriCorps Naturalist serving in Elko)
I have always loved the outdoors, and have wanted a career in working outdoors. Serving at Nevada Outdoor School through Americorps has given me an opportunity to combine my love for the outdoors and getting to teach my community about everything the Nevada outdoors has to offer. I am happy that I get to serve with NOS and see everything NOS does for the community.  My favorite aspect of NOS has been getting the outdoor skill events ready and actually participating in the community events that NOS offers. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment