With winter coming around soon, now is the best time to go check out the crazy fall colors! There are so many places throughout Nevada to check out some amazing views that only come around once a year. You can go somewhere close to Winnemucca such as Water Canyon, or make a day trip to Hinkey Summit in Paradise Valley or Rye Patch State Park. You can even make a weekend getaway to the Sierras and Lake Tahoe or Lamoille Canyon in Spring Creek.
From now until the beginning of November is your best chance to catch some of the amazing views that the state of Nevada has to offer. Check out some photos below!
|Leaves Changing in Water Canyon|
|Hiking in Lamoille Canyon|
While out enjoying the scenery remember, in order to recreate outdoors responsibly you should follow the seven Leave No Trace principles.
1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
· Know ahead of time where you are going. Take a map and/or GPS just in case
· Pack plenty of food and water
· Check the weather of the location you are going. Weather can change very quickly at high elevations
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
· Stay on designated trails
· Do not go around muddy spots but go through them instead. By doing so, you are keeping the trail the correct width
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
· Pack in what you pack out. Most isolated areas (such as Hinkey Summit) do not provide dumpsters and or garbage cans. Make sure you pack garbage bags and be prepared to take your trash with you.
· Use designated bathrooms whenever possible.
4. Leave What You Find
· Removing cultural artifacts is illegal
· When in doubt, take a picture, draw, or paint the scene instead of removing it
· Keep your arbor glyphs (tree carving) to yourself
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
· Have campfires only in designated campfire rings
· Use dead and downed wood, or bring your own
· Check for burn bans
6. Respect Wildlife
· Rule of thumb
· Do not feed animals
· Keep all food in a designated area away from your sleeping away
7. Be Considerate to Others
· Greet your neighbors
· Keep your volume down
· Respect their space
By sticking to these guidelines you will have an amazing family getaway, enjoy some great views, and allowing others those same opportunities. Enjoy the journey!