NOS Mission

Nevada Outdoor School inspires exploration of the natural world, responsible stewardship of our habitat and dedication to community.
This is the spot for us to share stories, fun ideas or general musings. When you aren't in here, we hope to see you out there!







Monday, April 17, 2017

Spring Means Watershed Field Trips!

Irma Mendoza (pictured here in her beautifully crafted "Thunder" costume) is one of our AmeriCorps Spring Naturalists at NOS.  We are very happy to have her part of the NOS team especially as we move into the always busy but super fun spring field trip season.

The 2nd grade Watershed Field Trip kicked off last week in Battle Mountain.  Throughout the rest of April and into May, our education team will be reaching hundreds of students in a variety of communities such as Winnemucca, Elko, Imlay, Spring Creek and Gerlach with this field experience.  

When asked about teaching these Watershed field trips, Irma said:

"Teaching kids is something I have always wanted to do. My ultimate goal is to become an educator, and be able to instill knowledge on younger minds and be able to influence them with bright ideas and lessons. I was presented the opportunity to lead a station for a field trip for second graders, at first I was nervous! I didn't think I would remember my material and I thought I would manage to somehow mess things up to a point where the kids would be left with a blank stare and no knowledge about watersheds in their heads.  Pushing my fears back, I was excited to plan and put together my station, keeping all of the materials in mind I made it my own and ran with what I was given. I allowed myself to be silly, and fun  I learned that the more you make it your own, the more the kids will enjoy it.  I plan on using more visuals, and making my watershed model activity more fun but overall I think that I did very well."

All of us here at NOS are looking forward to a great (and busy) field trip season this spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment