NOS Mission

Nevada Outdoor School inspires exploration of the natural world, responsible stewardship of our habitat and dedication to community.
This is the spot for us to share stories, fun ideas or general musings. When you aren't in here, we hope to see you out there!







Tuesday, April 9, 2024

AmeriCorps Spotlight: Lauren Kenney

 

I joined AmeriCorps with minimal job experience, having dropped out of high school during my junior year. For years, I convinced myself that I wasn’t smart enough to obtain a GED. Later, when my husband and I started our family, I put my aspirations on hold to focus on raising our children.

Over time, the idea of earning my GED resurfaced. I hoped that this basic high school education would complement my lack of professional experience. However, each time I resolved to pursue it, nerves got the better of me, and I backed out. Courage eluded me.

Fifteen years later, I took the leap and joined AmeriCorps. My initial goal was to gain practical skills and enhance my resume. Little did I know that this experience would transform me in ways beyond my expectations. I discovered a passion for assisting senior citizens, and my self-confidence blossomed. AmeriCorps allowed me to grow within my community, opening doors I never thought possible.

 


Now, I am a trusted resource for seniors seeking help as well as a Nevada Veterans Advocate.   I advocate for those who served our country, and those that are the most vulnerable and overlooked in our community. I also achieved a long-awaited milestone: I earned my GED. This accomplishment fuels my determination to continue helping others and learning as much as I can.

The impact that AmeriCorps has had on my life is immeasurable, and I am honored to serve.

 

Lauren Kenney

Pleasant Senior Center

No comments:

Post a Comment