NOS Mission

Nevada Outdoor School inspires exploration of the natural world, responsible stewardship of our habitat and dedication to community.
This is the spot for us to share stories, fun ideas or general musings. When you aren't in here, we hope to see you out there!







Thursday, May 31, 2012

Adventure Resolutions: Fine Dinning

Back in March I set a few Adventure Resolutions. Well I have my first update for you! The resolution I worked on last week was fine dinning.

I tried out a couple different non-dehydrated dinners while at Strawberry Music Festival. I know it wasn't a backpacking trip, but I liked the comfort of having a number of food vendors should my experiments go awry. However, they were not needed!

My favorite new backcountry dinner is pizza! The Backpacker recipe I was inspired by called for ready-made dough, but I was in a hurry during prep so I purchased already-made pizza crusts at the store. I was using my backpacking stove, which is really just ideal for boiling water making things a bit tricky.


At home: Packaged pizza crust in tin foil, cut up green bell peppers, and repackaged pepperoni and pizza sauce. To be honest, I don't remember what kind of cheese I used but it was a harder cheese so it would last longer out of the refrigerator. If I was backpacking I would repackage all toppings to minimize bulk.

At camp: Sprayed the frying pan with Pam (while backpacking I'll use olive oil - packs smaller), place pizza crust in, spread desired amount of sauce on, sprinkle cheese on top, add pepperoni and bell pepper. I used the tin foil the crust was wrapped in to make a lid. Now here's the important part if you're on a backpacking stove - set the burner very low and rotate the pan regularly, cooking your pizza for about 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.

This is what happens if you don't rotate the pan!
Enjoy!
Trails

No comments:

Post a Comment